Thursday, January 27, 2011

Business Name and Backstory (plus more jewelry)

I have finally settled on a logo for myself and my jewelry "business".
After much debate and many many potential company names, I have settled on the alias I use for everything "One Blue Topaz".   Hopefully it isn't already taken by some obscure company that somehow beat me to it.. I hope it will remain free until I can buy it officially.. So yeah... Aaaand, after many many logo designs I have created one that I am actually really happy with. Here it is:

Now, there is a story behind this name and it has importance to me, and I think I did a good job of representing the meaning in the logo.
How I came up with the name is simply the fact that my engagement ring has one blue topaz gem on it, and that's it.  Now, when I went to go pick out the ring with my husband I already knew I wanted a blue topaz instead of a diamond.  The main reason being that I was so sick of diamonds seeing as it's my birthstone and I have had diamond substitute jewelry all my life pretty much because of that... The more important reason, however, was that Carson's birthstone is a turquoise which can be substituted with a blue topaz.  Considering that a turquoise engagement ring might be a little too unconventional, I went with the blue topaz.  Once I explained this to my family they understood where I was coming from.  

Anyway, the logo, like the name, is based off of my engagement ring.  Like the logo, my ring has two trinities on either side of the gem. Here is a picture to make it clearer.
The bottom ring is the wedding ring, of course.  I thought it matched perfectly.. and I know it's different than what most people get, but you know, it's two rings I'm going to have for the rest of my life, so I sure as heck better like them! lol. 

Ok, back to what this post is about.  I had made an account on Artfire.com (hence why I needed to pick a name fast)... It's a basic account so I don't have to pay anything, at least I haven't had to so far... Hopefully it stays that way.. The only thing keeping me from selling now is that I have no clue about selling or buy online.. Like I have never had a paypal account or anything like it and I'm way too scared I'll screw something up if I try to figure it out myself (I'm not the most internet savvy person).  So Carson has told me to hold on and wait for him to look into it since he knows more about this stuff than I do... So that's where I currently am stuck.  I'm just so anxious to get started.  Once I can sell some things then I can afford to buy more supplies (maybe even better quality) and I'll actually feel like I'm moving forward finally.  It's kind of scary to be honest when I think about it.. I mean the worst that can happen is that I fail at it and I am back to square one trying to find my purpose in the world.  :/   I hope it works out...

Anyway, since my last post I have completed four long, simple necklaces strung on fishing line.  The picture only shows three because one of them is a present for my grandmother whose birthday is Feb 4th.  It looks similar to the ones in the picture and except it has pink glass beads with plastic faux pearls.
I am happy with these and if they hold up to being warn around by her and myself then I plan on making a ton of them in all different color schemes and selling them for a lower price than the specialty styles.
Basically I will continue to grow my inventory until I run out of supplies and absolutely have to buy more.. and even then, I have a birthday coming up in April so maybe that can be what I ask for.
I'm still really nervous about selling my stuff.. Just for the fact that I don't want it to fall apart.. And I know that nothing is unbreakable and that even if you buy a necklace or a bracelet from a well known store, if it snags on something or you pull it too hard, it too will break.. I just don't like to think about that. :(

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

2 comments:

  1. Your jewelry is gorgeous! I might have to buy me some, and I'm not normally a jewelry person, but I love yours! I love the name of your business too! And your engagement ring is so cool! I love the story behind it all:) Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! :D I'm still trying to work the kinks out with my jewelry and with setting up a way to actually sell it, but as soon as everything is ready I will definitely let you know. :)
    And thanks also about business name and ring! I really do love my ring. It was just perfect. They are both Sheila Fleet rings (http://www.sheila-fleet.co.uk/) from Scotland. We decided to go with with the "celtic" theme because he is part Scottish and I'm part Irish. :)
    Anyway, yes, all is as well as it can be. Still adjusting to married life.. It's a struggle but it can be really fun at times too.

    ReplyDelete